Saturday, February 19, 2011

Fiskars Firewood Fun

Ok
*
Northeast Ohio experienced a warm-up this week and most of our snow has melted back to expose the mud and half of my wood pile.
*
Today I decided to get in some exercise and lose some of the extra weight I have put on being cooped up inside my house this winter. I pulled out my handy Fiskars Super Splitter and took some swings at the large oak rounds laying in my driveway since mid-January. These were dumped in my driveway by a friend who asked me to bring my Dolmar 7900 over to his farm to cut up a large oak that had fallen.
*
If you recall from an earlier post, the Fiskars Super Splitter is a fascinating tool and comes with the Ohio WoodBurner Seal of Approval for all woodcutters, wood mongers, and wood addicts who enjoy splitting firewood.
*


The Fiskars Super Splitter works just like the traditional maul but has two distinct differences. It weighs just 4.25 pounds and is RAZOR sharp. Most mauls have a keen edge but not so sharp that they stick in the wood if the log doesn't split. Also, most mauls come in 6 or 8 pound weights. The Fiskars really shines when you have a lot of logs to split as the light weight becomes noticeable as its less fatiguing. I also love the handle as it keeps vibration to a minimum and it fits my hand very nicely. I have total confidence in the Fiskars construction which allows me to swing like Babe Ruth going for the cheap seats! Put simply...the Fiskars is a Joy to use!

*
So that was my workout for today. Oak is a nice splitting wood. Except for its unpleasant odor, which is reminiscent of vomit...it opens up easy and doesn't leave you with a mess of splinters and bark. Do not hesitate in getting one of these Fiskars gems. Rumor has it Fiskars is coming out with a longer handle version, in response from discriminating wood splitters who were bothered by the 28 inch handle. Honestly, the shorter handle has never been an issue for me despite my Greek-god like 6'2" frame...but hey, now I have an excuse to buy another one!

*
OWB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Site Counter
Family Vacations