Sunday, January 16, 2011

Big Chainsaw, Big Wood

Ok
*
My phone rang the other evening and again it was a good friend who made an offer I couldn't refuse. A large oak had fallen on his property and he asked if I would like to come out and cut up the trunk with my big Dolmar. Of course I said "yes!"
*
I think having a big chainsaw is like being the only person in your neighborhood with a pickup truck. People know who to call when they need something hauled, or in my case, a big tree cut up. I cannot think of a better way to spend my Saturday morning than running my Dolmar 7900 in big oak. This tree was on my friends lot line and was just about 24 inches at its base. He cut up the top of the tree and I did the big wood in the trunk. His brother ran the tractor and hauled the wood up to his trailer.


*
It had just finished snowing when we got to the tree. The ground was frozen hard so the tractor and the truck made their way around the place without tearing up the ground. Honestly, I was happy just to run my saws but I was offered a trailer full of cut oak for my trouble. Despite the snow, the weather was perfect for woodcutting. The cold never bothered me at all and, at times, I removed my coat so I could cool down! The day was a perfect, beautiful winter morning here in my neck of the woods. I swear there isn't a nicer place to live in this world than right here in northeast Ohio!


*
Below is an action shot of me running my big Dolmar. The saw is running a 24 inch bar so you can estimate the size of the trunk. I don't have much experience with oak for firewood but I can tell you it is VERY heavy to lug and oak has a very unpleasant smell when you are cutting it. The terrible odor from the wood chips reminds me of when our children were infants and battling a stomach virus. Not very aromatic...if you get my drift.


*
So below is my wood score for 2 hours of work that morning. I had it dumped in my driveway as the snow was too deep for the truck to get to my wood shed. I don't cut much wood in the winter so I never had a need to keep clear the driveway leading up to the woodshed. I will split this oak where it rests and lug it over to the wood shed when the time comes. Again, sometimes firewood falls right into your lap as in this oak score and in my previous post. I have to be grateful for the Dolmar 7900 however. Without a saw as big and powerful as this one, I would not have been able to handle either of these scores.



*
OWB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Site Counter
Family Vacations