Friday, January 22, 2010

Bored...But Got Wood

Ok
*
One of the things I enjoy about my Hardy H2 and all my Chainsaws is I have a lot of things to keep me occupied during the doldrums of winter. I have attached some pictures of a project I have completed recently...I made a clock out of a log.
*
Here is the story behind this. In the world of chainsaws a common occurrence is a bunch of people who have...and love...chainsaws will get together and see who's got the best, or smoothest, or fastest saw in the county. When you get all these saws in one place the wood tends to get cut up real quick and the next thing you know...you have a bunch of saws without any wood to cut! Bummer. However, us who love chainsaws have come up with a solution to this problem, which is, we cut "cookies" off of the log...instead of cutting the log into firewood pieces. A cookie is a 1 to 2 inch slice of a log that allows the saw to experience a full cut but in reality you are just cutting off a little bit off the edge. The result of these "cookie cuts" is you have a bunch of cookies laying around at the end of the day.
*
Well...I am not one to let wood go to waste so I collect the cookies and throw them in my Hardy H2 and let them heat my house. As I was gathering the cookies I found a couple walnut cookies that had very nice color and I decided to keep them. I didn't know what for but I thought I could find a use for them. They were too clunky for coasters...but eventually a light went off inside my head and I decided they would make a nice clock. Here is a picture...


I went to a craft store and bought a clock motor for $5. I then gathered some 9mm and .22 spent brass and drilled holes where the numbers would go. Voila...a clock! Not bad if you ask me!
This picture below shows how I routered out the back so the clock motor sets recessed in the cookie...thus allowing the clock to rest flush on the wall.



This picture gives you a good view of how thick the cookie is.


This is what the clock looked like before I started. Walnut is a gorgeous wood. The bark is also nice. So far the clock is still functioning and the wood has not split. I think I may be on to something. Maybe I should become a clocksmith?

Anyhow...I just wanted to share this with you as I get bored at times when the winter weather forces me indoors and my mind starts to wander. I consider this a value added service from me and my saws. I have been itching to buy a new saw by the way...I have a feeling a Dolmar 7900 is in my future.
*
OWB



No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Site Counter
Family Vacations