Sunday, November 27, 2011

Troy-Bilt 27 Ton Log Splitter

Hello Everyone...
*
This spring I added a new tool to my woodshed. I purchased a Troy-Bilt 27 ton log splitter from my local dealer who also sells me my Husqvarna and Dolmar chainsaws. I put a lot of thought into the log splitter I wanted to buy and decided this guy fit my needs the best. Here is a recent action photo of me lugging and my dad at the lever.


*
There is a wide range of splitters on the market from inexpensive electric models to mega-bucks processors. The most popular are the hydraulic types such as mine. Hydraulic splitters are slow in terms of production but highly reliable and portable. The major factor for me was I wanted to be able to pull my splitter behind my truck or my four-wheeler to my work site and I also wanted the ability to easily put the machine away in my barn at the end of the day. Of the hydraulic splitters the prices can range from $1000 to as high as $5000 with the more expensive ones having more features and professional grade parts. Given my needs and that speed of production is not a big deal for me, I went with the Troy-Bilt for around $1300. There are other brands that are just as good, Tractor Supply has a very good splitter for example, but if I'm sinking this much money in a tool I like the peace of mind to know I have local dealer support and a healthy warranty. The Tractor Supply splitter is very well built, is a little cheaper, but you also have to buy the hydro fluid. I think also anytime you make a major purchase like this from a big-box retailer you run the risk of an uncertain service policy and indifferent employees. My splitter was assembled, tuned, and ready to work when I took it home.


*
In the picture below you can see that I was able to back the splitter right up to my wood shed saving me time and energy. This Troy-Bilt is pretty rugged and split all of my biggest logs. I realize the bigger splitters would probably work faster and easier on big wood but factoring in price I am very happy with this splitter.


*
This Troy-Bilt Splitter also can be made to work vertical for logs too big to lug. The one thing I have to be careful with, however, is the engine is near the splitting wedge so I have to take care that a split log doesn't plop onto the engine. Most splitters of this design come with the same concerns but with good working habits this can be avoided. Below is a picture of a big log of ash. The Troy-Bilt zipped right through it.

*
I am very pleased with my purchase but I realize your situation and needs may be different than mine. If you are into MAJOR production or require fast production you would be better served to get something different. The bottom line is a splitter is a major back-saver and adds a different dimension to firewood procurement. I wish I would have picked one of these up about 5 years ago.
*
OWB

1 comment:

Web Site Counter
Family Vacations